/ Attractions

Find us on Facebook

Padmanabhapuram Palace is located in Thuckalay near Nagercoil which is about 60 kilometres away from Padmanabha Swamy Temple in Trivandrum city. History says that a Thai Kottaram is built in AD 1550 by the king, who ruled the Travancore under Venad Kingdom. This Thai Kottaram is then developed into a palace by the ruler Iravi Varma Kulasekhara Perumal (AD 1592-AD 1609) in AD 1601. But it was the Marthanda Varma, who reconstructed the palace to the present day palace in 1750. Also this palace is considered as the capital of Travancore Kingdom during the period of (AD 1729-AD 1795), before Thiruvananthapuram, which becomes the capital in 1795. Now the palace is situated in Tamil Nadu, but it was administrated by the Archeology Department of Kerala Government, since the land and palace belongs to the Kerala Government. This palace is a perfect example for the traditional architecture style of kerala. Vistors are allowed to visit the palace. Padmanabhapuram Palace Timings are given below. Padmanabhapuram PalaceTimings: 9.00 AM to 3.00 PM all days,except Mondays and National Holidays.

The different Sections of Padmanabhapuram Palace are,
1. Poomukham: The entrance of Padmanabhapuram palace is called as Poomukham. Poomukhan leads to the ancient door of palace. A brass lamp with a knight on horse back is hanged in the Poomukham. Also you can see the a Chinese Chair, which was presented by the Chinese merchants and a Onavillu, which was presented by the landlords during a Onam Festival.

2. Mantrasala: Mantrasala or King’s Council chamber is the most beautiful part of padmanabhapuram palace. The floor of mantrasala is also beautiful and is cool and dark. The floor is said to be made in burnt coconut shells, egg white and a mixture of various substances. The sittings of Mantrasala are decorated with Chinese model sittings. After Mantrasala there is a passage,which leads to the Oottupura or Dining Hall.

3. Oottupura: Oottupura or Dinning hall is built for the purpose of serving free meals to the people.  Oottupura has a capacity to accommodate at about 1000 people at a time. You can see several huge Chinese jars in the floors, which are used to store the pickles.
4. Thai Kottaram: Thai Kottaram is the oldest part of Padmanabhapuram Palace and is said to be built in the year AD 1550, it is then rebuilt during the rule of Iravi Varma Kulasekhara Perumal. It was built in the manner of traditional Nalukettu Style.  An Ekantamandapam otherwise known as open verandah in Thai Kottaram consists of a Kannithoonu (ceiling supporting pillar) with floral designs is built from the wood of jack fruit tree with aritistic brilliance. This artistic brilliance reflects the kerala traditional style. Some of the ritualistic followings such as Kalamezhuthu, inorder to satisfy the goddess were done here. There is also a tunnel (secret passage)connecting Thaikottaram with Charottukkottaram. This tunnel is used specially during the times of battle or attack to the royal family.

5. King’s Cot, Queen’s Dressing Room and the Palace Toilet: The king’s ornamental cot is on the first floor of Uppirikka Maliga, which is said to be made from sixty four types of herbal timbers, presented by the dutch merchants. The king’s cot leads to the Queen’s Dressing room. A polished stone cot placed in the queen’s dressing room, which is used for cooling effect. There is also two palace toilet for both king and the queen near this room.

6. Armoury and Watch Tower: Armoury building is made such that it the length of the room is more than the breadth, with no windows and ventilation facilities. Also there are only two entrances to the armoury building, one at the northern end towards Watch tower and other from the Uppirikka Maliga. The movements of the surroundings places can be detected through this watch tower. History says that thousands of weapons were stored in the Armoury building. These weapons were said to be confiscated by the British army due to the order of Colonel Macaulay and the remaining weapons were today exhibited in the Heritage Museum.

7. Ambari Mukhappu: Ambari Mukhappu was constructed for the rulers to view chariot races (temple cart race) during the festival seasons and also to appear infront of common people on special occasions.  Ambari means the seat which put on elephants back for the purpose of safaris. Ambari Mukhappu is called so, sonce it is constructed in the manner of Ambari. The Ambari Mukhappu is a perfect example of artistic craftsmanship of Kerala wood carving.

8. Indra Vilasom: Indra Vilasom building was mainly built for accommoding the foreign tourists and dignitaries coming to visit the travancore. Unlike other buildings, Indra Vilasom is not built in typical Travancore style. However we can see the inspiration of kerala architecture is found in the structure and shape of the building.

9. Medicinal Floor and the Palace Pond: You can see a flight of steps, which leads to the Medicinal floors and bathing pond of the palace.

10. Navarathri Mandapam: It was Marthanda Varma Maharaja in AD 1744, who built the Navarathri Mandapam. The main speciality of this Navarathri Mandapam is, whole the Mandapam were built of solid rock, which is only place in the palace made of stones. The length of the building extends to 66 feet and has a width of 27 feet. This building is rich in sculpture designs, which speaks us the cultural and artistic tradition. This Navarathri Mandapam is mainly used for the performing several cultural and art programmes during the Navarathri festival. The floors are finely polished which gives a mirror look. Other speciality is the Kilivathil (small wooden windows), made for the king and the members of royal family to see the programmes, without being seen by the common people.

11. Thekee Kottaram (Now it is Heritage Museum): Thekee Kottaram is believed to be have an age of around 400 years old. Today the Thekee Kottaram (Southern Palace) is transformed to historical heritage Museum, exhibiting various collections of old weapons, paintings, sculptures and antique households.

Want to add more details of Padmanabhapuram PalaceTimings, History of Thai Kottaram,Temple and Museum, mail the details to

Attingal Dreams Theatre is one of the famous theatres in Trivandrum and was inaugurated in the year 1999. Pearl Harbour is the first movie premiered here. The facilities of Attingal Dreams Theater include UFO, excellent sound system (JBL Speakers) with DTS and Air conditioned hall and have a seating capacity of around 700 seats with a box circle. Here all the seats are push back and will give a comfortable viewing experience. Parking Area and Coffee shops are also available in the theater itself.

Owner :                                    
Location :                                   Attingal
Facility :                                     AC/ DTS
Phone Number :                       0470-2628997
Built in :                                  
Total Shows/day :                    4
Total Seats  :                              700

Attingal Gauri Theatre is one of the popular and oldest theatres in Trivandrum. The facilities of Attingal Gauri Theatre include UFO, Digital Sound Quality (DTS). Here all the seats are comfortable with cusion seats. Parking area and Fooding materials such as snacks, pop corn, tea, coffee and soft drinks are also available in the theatre itself.
Owner :                                    
Location :                                   Attingal
Facility :                                     DTS
Phone Number :                       0470-2620694
Built in :                                  
Total Shows/day :                    4
Total Seats  :                            

Attingal Ganga Theatre is one of the excellent theatres in Kerala with multiplex looks. This Theatre was inaugurated during February 2007 and Suresh Gopi starring Detective was the inaugral movie. The facilities of Attingal Ganga Theatre include Air Conditioned Hall, fully granite flooring, Digital Sound Quality and big wide hall with 35 seats per row. Here all the seats are comfortable with cusion seats.  The total seating capacity of this thatre is 1000 with 251 balcony seats. Parking area and Fooding facility is also available inside the compound itself.
Owner :                                    
Location :                                   NH 47, Attingal
Facility :                                     A/C DTS
Phone Number :                    
Built in :                                     February 2007
Total Shows/day :                    4
Total Seats:                              1000

Attingal Thapasya Theatre is one of the popular theatres in the Attingal. Attingal Thapasya theatre was inaugurated in the year 1997 and Thirakalkkapuram starring Suresh Gopi and Manju Warrier is the  first film premiered. The facilities of this theater include Air Conditioned Hall and Digital Sound Quality. It is one of the biggest cinema hall in Trivandrum with a seating capacity of 900 with big balcony. The Parking and Fooding facility is also available inside the Complex.

Owner :                                    
Location :                                   Near Poovanpara Bridge
Facility :                                     A/C DTS
Phone Number :                       0470-2620920
Built in :                                     1997
Total Shows/day:                    4
Total Seats:                              900

Attingal Thapasya Paradise is located behind the thapasya main hall and was inaugurated in the year 2006 with Pachakkuthira starring Dileep is the first film premiered. The facility of Attingal Thapasya Paradise includes UFO, excellent DTS and comfortable push back seats. It is small compared to Thapasya and has no Balcony. Previously, it was an Auditorium.  The Parking and Fooding facility is also available inside the Complex itself.

Owner :                                    
Location :                                   Near Poovanpara Bridge
Facility :                                     A/C DTS
Phone Number :                      0470-2620920
Built in :                                     2006
Total Shows/day :                    4
Total Seats  :                              450

Attingal Vaisakha A/C DTS is one of the popular theatres in the Attingal. Early this theatre is called as RNP A/C and was changed to Attingal Vaisakha after the theatre transferred to Rajan of Vaisakha Movies. This new theatre was inaugurated in 2007 by the actor Mammooty and Maayavi was the first film premiered. The facilities of this theatre include Air Conditioned Hall and Digital Sound Quality. Here all the seats are comfortable with cusion seats. The seat in the balcony consists of push back setup with head rest. The parking area is also available with a capacity of placing around 25 four wheelers and 50 two wheelers. Fooding facility is also available inside the theatre.

Owner :                                      Rajan of Vaisakha Movies
Location :                                   Attingal
Facility :                                     A/C DTS
Phone Number :                    
Built in :                                  
Total Shows/day :                    4
Total Seats  :                            

Chief Office
KSRTC  Head Offiice
Central Works

Sub Depots
Vikas Bhavan

Private Bus Services
Trivandrum City

Attingal Town

Bus Stands
Super Class Bus
Services Via
Nagercoil Route

Kottarakkara Route

Kollam Route

Trivandrum History Timeline:

BC 250 - AD 250: Ay Tamil Kingdom believed to be started their rule from early sangam period to 10th century. Their rule extended from Tiruvalla to Nagercoil including present day trivandrum. Their capital was at Aykudi, Podiyil Malai (Near to Shenkottai) and then they shifted it to Vizhinjam. The major Ay rulers during Sangam Period include Ay Antiran, Titiyan and Atigan.

AD 216 - 428: According to Keralolpathy, the period up to AD 216 is called as ‘Parasurama’ period. Kerala is believed to have originated by the withdrawal of sea, when Parasurama threw his axe from Gokarnam to Kanyakumari. Parasurama divided Kerala into 64 villages and donated them to Brahmins.

AD 250 - AD 925: Post Sangam age, the Ay rulers are Ay Sadayan (till AD 788), Karunandan (AD 788-857), Karunandadakkan (AD 857-885) who was the founder of famous Kandalur Salai and the Vikramaditya Varaguna (885-925). By the 10th century, Ays lost their territories to Cheras.

AD 800 - 1100: Rule of Kulashekhara Kings

AD 800 - 820: Kulasekara Azhwar who was the founder of Later Chera Dynasty in southern India and also was the first king of this dynasty who ruled from AD 800 to AD 820.

AD 825: Kolla Varsham started which is also known in the name of Quilon Calendar is the current Malayalam Calendar system. It was introduced in 25th July 825 AD. The Quilon city was recreated by Maruvan Sabareso and it included the regions of present day Thiruvananthapuram and got the name Venad.

AD 851: The arrival of Persian Traveller, Sulaiman in Kerala. There onwards, Kollam is considered as the major harbor in South India.

AD 880: Chera Army invaded the Mooshaka kingdom. Retrieval of Pandyas.

AD 974: The Mampalli Plate of Sri Vallabhan Kotha of Venad is considered as the first known record dated during the kollam era (149). It also becomes the earliest record in which the Panamkavil palace of the venad kings known.

AD 988: Palya Shasanam of Vikramaditya Varaguna.

AD 1000: Raja Raja Cholan attacked Venad and they destroyed Kandalur Salai.

AD 1019: Rajendra Cholan attacked Venad.

AD 1044: Rajendra Cholan invaded Vizhinjam

AD 1070: Freedom from Cholas.

AD 1292: An Italian (Venice) named Marco Polo visited kollam and other places of kerala and recorded.

AD 1324: Friar Jordanus from severic reached kollam for spreading missionary thoughts. He wrote the famous book, Mirabilia Descripta. He was the first foreign writer to mention about the Marumakkathayam system of Kerala.

AD 1644: The English men (British) builded a trading place in Vizhinjam.

AD 1677 - 1684: The first women ruler of Venad, Umayamma Rani Period.

AD 1684: Attingal Rani given the Permission to British to build a fort at Anjuthengu.

AD 1695: The construction of Anjuthengu Fort completed.

AD 1696: Kerala Varma abolished several hateful customs known as Pulappedi, Mannapedi etc. in 1696. In the same year some landlords and the Ettara Yogam members assassinated him.

AD 1721: Attingal Outbreak (Anjengo Revolt) is the first organized revolt against English. The revolt that happened in 1721 April 21st saw the massacre of 140 East India Company officers by native Indians.

AD 1723: A treaty between Travancore and British. Marthanda Varma got title of "Prince of Neyyatinkara" in 1723.

AD 1729: Emergence of modern Travancore. Anizham Thirunal Marthanda Varma became the ruler of Travancore with Padmanabhapuram as capital. He defeated several small kingdoms and merged with Travancore. So he is called as the founder of Travancore.

AD 1731: Sree Padmanabha Swami Temple was rebuilt by Marthanda Varma.

AD 1739: The Preparation of land records (Ozhuku) was first done by Mallan Sankaran upon instruction from Marthanda Varma. It consists of survey number, name and area of assets. The division of lands was done under the chief heads of Devaswom, Brahmaswom, Danam and Pandaravaka. Every landowner was given a patta stating the tax charged on each piece of land.

AD 1741: Marthanda Varma defeated Dutch in Colachel War. It was first time that a European force defeated against a king in Asian continent. Marthanda Varma joined the best militants from Dutch in his troop and had rearranged his army in European model. He also appointed Dutch Commander Delanoy as the captain in his highness service.

AD 1742: Marthanda Varma merged Ilayidathu Swaroopam (Kottarakara) with Travancore.

AD 1746: Marthanda Varma invaded Kayamkulam.

AD 1749: Marthanda Varma merged thekkumkoor with Travancore.

AD 1750: Thrippadi Danam of Marthanda Varma. He donated his entire kingdom to Lord Sree Padmanabha through Thrippadi Danam. Thus he got the name of Sree Padmanabha Dasan. In the same year, he invaded Vadakkumkoor.

AD 1753: An agreement between Travancore and Dutch took place in Mavelikkara.

AD 1758: Dharma Raja Karthika Thirunal Ramavarma succeeded to the throne of Travancore following the death of Marthanda Varma in 1758. Upon attack of Tipu in Malabar region, Ramavarma gave shelter to the people fled from Malabar to South Kerala. Thus he got the name “Dharma Raja”.

AD 1758: Hyder Ali attacked South Kerala.

AD 1789: Tipu Sultan attacked the Nedumkotta which is the north of Travancore.

AD 1789: Raja Keshavadas become dewan of Travancore. He changed the title, from dalawa to dewan. He is also the first man to get the title “dewan”. He also got the title Rajah from British Governor Mornington, in pleasure of his talents. In return, he also added Dasan to his name to become Raja Keshavadas. He is the chief architect of Alappuzha Harbour Town and also taken steps to built Chala Market in Trivandrum.

AD 1795: Travancore accepted the British Supremacy. The British entered the administration of the state under the rule of Dharma Raja.

AD 1798: Dharma Raja died in the age of 74, after a long reign of 40 years from 1758 to 1798.

AD 1798: Avittom Thirunal Balarama Varma succeeded to the Throne of Travancore after the demise of Dharma Raja.

AD 1799: Raja Keshavadas died. The name of popular place in Trivandrum, “Keshavadasapuram” was named after him.

AD 1800: Colonel Macaulay became the resident for Travancore and Cochin under British East India Company from 1800 to 1810 and involved in the matter of an attack by Chempil Arayan.

AD 1802: Veluthampi Dalawa became Dalawa of Travancore.

AD 1809: Kundara Proclamation (January 11, 1809).

AD 1809: Velu Thampi suicided by cutting his throat died in the Mannadi Temple of Pathanamthitta.

AD 1810: Gouri Lakshmi Bai succeeded to the throne of Travancore.

AD 1810: Colonel John Munro becomes the resident of both Kochi & Travancore. He played an important role in administration of justice that take place in both Kochi & Travancore under the rule of Gouri Lakshmi Bai and Gouri Parvati Bai. He also takes step to start Secretariat administration in Travancore.

AD 1812: Slave trade was abolished in Travancore by Rani Gauri Lekshmi Bhai.

AD 1815: Rani Gouri Parvati Bai succeeded to the throne of Travancore.

AD 1817: Primary education made compulsory by Rani Gouri Lakshmi Bhai.

AD 1829: Swathi Thirunal succeeded to the throne of Travancore. Maharani Lakshmi Bai was the mother of Swathi. He was declared as next ruler, much before Laksmi Bai got pregnant to give birth to Swathi. Thus he got the title of “Garbha Shriman''.

AD 1830: Hazoor Kacheri shifted from Kollam to Kottakakam in Trivandrum.

AD 1831: First Census was conducted in Travancore

AD 1834: First English School built by Swathi Thirunal in Thiruvananthapuram.

AD 1834: First Kaneshumari in Travancore.

AD 1836: Star Bungalow in Thiruvananthapuram.

AD 1846: Swathi Thirunal Died. His ruling period is called as the Golden Period of Travancore.

AD 1853: The slaves are released in Travancore.

AD 1853: Chattampi Swamikal born in Kannamoola of Trivandrum. His original name was Kunjan Pillai.

AD 1855: Birth of Sree Narayana Guru at Chempazhanthi.

AD 1858: Sir T Madhava Rao becomes the Dewan of Travancore. He is one among the best dewan of Travancore. It was during his period, the current Secretariat of Kerala was built.

AD 1861: Ayilyam Thirunal Rama Varma succeded to the throne of Travancore.

AD 1863: Ayyankali, the social reformer born in 1863 in Venganoor, Trivandrum.

AD 1864: The first Government Hospital of Kerala established in Trivandrum (Thiruvanathapuram Civil Hospital - General Hospital) during the region of Ayilyam Thirunal.

AD 1865: Pandara Pattam Proclamation

AD 1866: Ayyankali born at Venganur

AD 1866: The English School built by Swathi Thirunal in 1834 changed into a University. That University is called as Today’s University College in Trivandrum.

AD 1869: The inauguration of new Secretariat in Trivandrum. William Barton designed and built the new Secretariat, who was the chief engineer of Travancore. It was built based on Roman Architecture. Later it became the administration center of Thiru – Kochi and then for whole Kerala.

AD 1874: For the first time, Government Law College in Trivandrum established.

AD 1877: The construction of main central road completed. The path extended from Trivandrum to Angamaly is now known in the name of State Highway Number 1.

AD 1880: Visakham Thirunal Rama Varma become the king of Travancore. The cultivation of tapioca cultivation started.

AD 1883: Land Survey in Travancore Started.

AD 1885: Sree Moolam Thirunal Maharaja succeeded to the throne of Travancore (1885 - 1924).

AD 1887: Sri Narayana Guru founded Siva temple at Aruvippuram.

AD 1888: The Travancore Legislative Council was established in the year 1888 with Dewan T. Rama Rao in the chair of meeting.

AD 1888: In February 1888, Sree Narayana Guru installed a rock from the Neyyar River as Shivalinga at Aruvippuram. Brahmins argued it by citing the condition that only Brahmins can do that. In reply to this, Guru said that he installed an Ezhava Shiva. This incident is also termed as Aruvippuram Revolt.

AD 1889: The First Ayurveda College of Kerala was started by Sree Moolam Thirunal in the name of Ayurvedic Patasala (Kashayappura).

AD 1891: Malayali Memorial Agitation. According to that Agitation, a memorandum presented by a group of citizens under the leadership of GP Pillai and KP Shankara Menon to Maharaja Sree Moolam Thirunal on January 1, 1891. It was signed by more than 10,028 citizens which includes all castes and religions. It demands Sri Moolam Thirunal to secure government jobs for educated people in Travancore. At that time, most jobs were in the hands of Tamil Brahmins.It is the first recorded political movement in Travancore and Cochin.

AD 1896: Ezhava Memorial under the leadership of Dr Palpu is a group memorandum signed by 13,176 Hindu Ezhava community members. It is also similar to Malayali Memorial which was submitted to King of Travancore demanding the Government to allow government jobs for educated people of Ezhava Community in Travancore.

AD 1896: The Janmi Kudiyan Regulation Act in Travancore providing security of tenure to the tenants of private lands.

AD 1900: The visit of British Viceroy, Lord Curzon in Travancore and is also the first viceroy to visit Travancore. Curzon mentioned Alappuzha as “The Venice of East”.

AD 1900: Due to the rejection of Ezhava Memorial by Travancore Government in 1896, they once again submitted the memorial to Lord Curzon in 1990. It is known in the name of “Ezhava Memorial in 1990”.

AD 1901: K Ramakrishna Pillai, Started the magazine “Kerala Panchika” in Trivandrum.

AD 1903: Sree Narayana Dharma Paripalana Yogam was registered in May 15, 1903 for the progression of Ezhava Community under the leadership of Sree Narayana Guru (President) and the secretary, Kumaran Aasan (upto 1919). The formation of SNDP Yogam led to the formation of Sadhujajna Pariplana Yogam, Pulaya Samudhaya Parishkarana Sabha, Valasevasamithi, Dheevara sabha,Yogashema sabha and the Nair Service Society.

AD 1904: Sree Moolam Popular Assembly (Praja Sabha) started, the first legislative assembly among princely stated in India established in Travancore.

AD 1904: First Railway in Travancore between Thirunelveli and Kollam.

AD 1904: The bi-monthly magazine of SNDP, Vivekodayam started in Trivandrum with Kumaran Aasan as Editor.

AD 1905: Vakkom Muhammed Abdul Khadir Moulavi started Swadeshabhimani Newspaper near Anjuthengu of Thiruvananathapuram District. Chirayinkeezhu CP Govinda Pillai is the first Editor of Swadeshabhimani.

AD 1905: Ayyankali started a school to teach Dalit children at Venganoor. It is also the first school in kerala built for the welfare of children of Dalit people.

AD 1906: K Ramakrishna Pillai becomes the editor of Swadeshabhimani.

AD 1906: Raja Ravi Varma (1848 – 1906), great painter Died.

AD 1907: Ayyankali founded the Sadhujana Paripalana Sangham in 1907, in Venganoor. In the same year Brahmananda Swami Sivayogi founded the Ananda Maha Sabha and C Krishna Pillai initiated the Smastha Kerala Nair Samajam.

AD 1909: The first farmer group strike in kerala was first organized in Venganoor by Ayyankali.

AD 1909: The old manuscripts containing 11 Bhasa plays written in Bhasa Sanskrit by T Ganapati Shastry was discovered from Manalikkara Matham in Munjira near Trivandrum.

AD 1910: Swadeshabhimani K Ramakrishna Pillai was deported in September 26, 1910. Ramakrishna Pillai wrote the criticisms against P. Rajagopalachari, who was the then Diwan of Travancore and also Maharaja in Swadeshabhimani. This forced the authorities to taking away the newspaper and deported him from Travancore.

AD 1912: The Malayalam edition of life of Communist leader, Karl Marx was published for the first time in India by Swadeshabhimani K Ramakrishna Pillai.

AD 1912: Sree Sarada Pradishta in Sivagiri by Sree Narayana Guru.

AD 1915: Ooruttambalam Revolt (Nineteenth Century Revolt) under the leadership of Ayyankali. In the same year, Kallumala Agitation occurred under the leadership of Ayyankali in Perinad of Kollam.

AD 1916: Swadeshabhimani K Ramakrishna Pillai died. He was deported from Travancore in 1910 and after that he lives along with his wife in Madras, Palakkad and then settled in Kannur during his last days. He wrote Vrithantha Pathra Pravarthanam in 1912, which is known as the first book on journalism in Malayalam language.

AD 1918: CV Ramanpillai wrote his first edition of the novel “Ramaraja Bahadur” in 1918. He published its second edition in 1919. His First novel is “Marthanda Varma” and his second novel is Dharma Raja.

AD 1919: Sambavar Sangam formed in Travancore

AD 1920: Congress committees of three regions, Travancore, Kochi and Malabar merged and formed the Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee (KPCC). T Madhavan Nair is the first secretary of the committee.

AD 1922: CV Raman Pillai died in March 21, 1922.

AD 1922: First Trade Union in Kerala, the Travancore Labor Association was formed.

AD 1922: Rabindranath Tagore visited Sree Narayana Guru in Sivagiri.

AD 1924:  Samadhi of Chattambi Swamikal.

AD 1925: Mahatma Gandhi visited Kerala for the second time in March 8, 1924 in order to find a solution for Vaikom Satyagraha. He also visited Sree Narayana Guru in Sivagiri.

AD 1926: In 1926, Sethu Lakshmi Bayi passed the Newspaper Regulation to control the abuse of press with the introduction of license for them.

AD 1928: Sree Narayana Dharma Sangam was registered in January 9th. Sri Narayana Guru samadhi at Sivagiri was also in the same year (September 20).

AD 1929: Under the presidency of Sir M Vishweshwaraya, Nattu Rajya Praja Sammelanam was held at Thiruvananthapuram.

AD 1930: First silent film in Malayalam, Vigathakumaran (The Lost Child) released in 23rd October 1930 by the studio, Travancore National Pictures in Pattom. The film is directed by J. C. Daniel. JC Daniel and PK Rosy are the actor and actresses.

AD 1930: P Subramoniyam started the first Movie Theatre “New Theatre” in Thiruvananthapuram.

AD 1932: Nivarthana Agitation in Travancore.

AD 1933: Sree Chithira Thirunal Balarama Varma becomes the first Maharaja of Travancore to travel in Sea.

AD 1935: The first Aeroplane service was started in kerala from Mumbai to Trivandrum.

AD 1936: Sir CP Ramaswami Iyer becomes the Dewan of Travancore.

AD 1936: Temple Entry Proclamation by Sree Chithira Thirunal Balarama Varma on the advice of Sir CP Ramaswami Iyer (November 12), allowing the lower castes (untouchables) to enter temple.

AD 1937: Travancore University was founded.

AD 1939: Uttaravada Rule in Travancore started.

AD 1939: Rajadhani March in October 23rd under the leadership of Akkamma Cheriyan.

AD 1941: Ayyankali died.

AD 1943: The first Radio Station started in Thiruvananthapuram.

AD 1946: Diwan, CP Ramaswamy introduced "American model” administration in Travancore in January 16.

AD 1947: In a press meet held in June 11, CP Ramaswami Iyer issued a statement citing that Travancore would become independent following the Indian independence in August 15th. This statement led to controversy. A general meeting was held by the public in pettah in July 13th and police fired the public. A student named, Rajendran and 3 others were shot dead. After that Ramaswami Iyer resigned in 1947 following an unsuccessful murder attempt against him in July 25th.

AD 1948: First General Election in Travancore. The first ministry in Travancore; Pattom Thanu Pillai as Chief Minister with TM Varghese and C Kesavan as Sub Ministers.

AD 1949: Thiru - Kochi came into existence in July 1, by merging both Travancore and Kochi. Travancore King, Sree Chitra Thirunal became the head of the states (Raja Pramukhan). Parur TK Narayana Pillai became the first chief minister and TM Varghese became the speaker of the newly formed Travancore-Cochin state. AK John, Dr EK Madhavan and TE Abdhulla became the ministers of Travancore whereas Ikkanda Warrior, K Ayyappan and Panampilly Govinda Menon became the ministers of Kochi.

AD 1951: C Kesavan became the prime minister of Thiru-Kochi in February 28.

AD 1952: AJ John became the first elected chief minister of Thiru Kochi. Consequent to the General Election of December 1951.

AD 1954: Pattom Thanu Pillai won the General election from PSP Party supported by the congress,  and became the chief minister of Travancore- Cochin.

AD 1956: Malayalees long time wish happened with the merge of Malabar and Thiru-Kochi to form the Kerala State in November 1st 1956.

AD 1957: Travancore University is re-named to Kerala University.

AD 1959: Colonel Goda Varma Raja introduced the second flying club of Kerala in January 7. He is considered as the father of sports Kerala. The birth date of GV Raja, October 13 is considered as the Kerala Sports Day.

AD 1963: Thumba Rocket Launching Centre established in October. In November 21, the first rocket was launched weighing 715 kg with solid propellants; go up to a height of 208 km discharging sodium vapour that lit up the sky.

AD 1963: Kizhanguvila Research Centre established in Trivandrum.

AD 1965: The first film society of Kerala ‘Chitralekha’ started in Thiruvananthapuram in July.

AD 1967: The first rocket built in India was launched in November from Thumba.

AD 1968: Thumba Rocket Launching Centre was taken by United Nations Organization (UNO) in February 2.

AD 1968: Kerala Bhasha Institute in September 16 established in Nalanda Trivandrum. NV Krishna Warrior was the first Director.

AD 1971: Actor Sathyan died in June 15. He is also the first winner of Kerala state award for best actor in 1969.

AD 1971: Dr Vikram Sarabhai, who is called as the father of Indian Space Science died in Kovalam.

AD 1972: The name of Thumba Rocket Launching Centre changed to Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) upon instruction from Space Commission of India in July 10.

AD 1973: Kerala Highway Research Institute established in Karyavattom, Trivandrum.

AD 1975: The first sports school in Kerala, GV Raja Sports School established in Trivandrum in August 11.

AD 1976: Chitranjali Film Studio under KSFDC inaugurated in August 12.

AD 1976: The inauguration of broad gauge railway track by Prime Minister Smt. Indira Gandhi between Thiruvananthapuram and Ernakulam in August 13.

AD 1977: Morarji Desai inaugurated the Navel Study Centre in Vizhinjam in September 24.

AD 1978: The Aeroplane Service from Trivandrum to Dubai in January 31.

AD 1979: Inaugration of Thiruvananthapuram – Kanyakumari Railway line in April 16.

AD 1979: Inauguration of Trivandrum Railway Division in October 2.

AD 1980: Milma founded in February 21st.

AD 1982: Television Telecast from Thiruvananthapuram in August 15.

AD 1983: Peppara Wildlife Sanctuary came into existence in December 21

AD 1985: Malayalam Channel was telecasted from Thiruvananthapuram Doordarsha Kendra in January 1.

AD 1991: Trivandrum Airport got the status of International Airport in January 2.

AD 1991: The first Techno Park in India was established in Kazhakuttom, Trivandrum in March 31.

AD 1991: Sree Chitra Thirunal Balarama Varma died in July 19. His final resting place is at Panchavadi.

AD 2003: Kerala’s first coast-Guard station is started at Vizhinjam.

AD 2003: Vellanadu Panchayat in Trivandrum becomes the country’s first fully computorised Panchayat.

AD 2004: Tsunami in December 26.

AD 2007: Child begging was abolished in Trivandrum. (January 28)

AD 2008: Indian President, Pratibha Patil inaugurated Niyamasabha Golden Jubilee Valedictory function in April 30.


1. Mathrubhumi PSC Question Bank 2013 Edition
2. Internet - Other Sources

Place   :                             Venjaramoodu
Taluk :                              Nedumangadu
Village:                             Nellanad
Village Phone No:        95472-2875644
Pin Code:                         695607
Post Office:                      Venjaramoodu
District:                             Trivandrum
State:                                 Kerala

It is a popular place in Trivandrum District. It is located at about 25 kilometers away from Trivandrum Central Railway Station.

The distance we want to travel from Thiruvananthapuram,Kerala is listed below,
MC Road: 25 km

Want to add more information of Venjaramoodu Trivandrum in this page, mail the details to

It is a popular place in Trivandrum District. It is located at about two kilometer away from Trivandrum Central Railway Station.

West Fort
Village Phone
Post Office
Pin Code
Parliamentary Constituency

The distance we want to travel from Thiruvananthapuram,Kerala is listed below,
Thampanoor Road and NH 47 Road: 2.3 km


Total Pageviews